Thanks to all of those who give, the American Cancer Society is able to help so many in their daily battles against cancer, whether they are cancer patients, survivors or caregivers.
A few of the statistics* from how your donations helped cancer patients and survivors in 2017:
- Helped more than 33,000 women manage appearance-related side effects of treatment
- Provided more than 9,000 peer support services to breast cancer patients
- Provided more than 112,000 special kits of tailored information and resources for newly diagnosed patients
- Thousands of patients, survivors, and caregivers use our online Cancer Survivors Network
*statistics can be found at cancer.org
Not only do patients, survivors and caregivers have access to the Cancer Survivors Network in their first lives, they also have access to support groups provided by the American Cancer Society within Second Life.
The American Cancer Society offers cancer survivors and caregivers the opportunity to receive and give support through our Hope Haven program.
Hope Haven is one of the best examples of the impact of our fundraising dollars making a real difference in our virtual world. The program exists to offer emotional support to people going through their own personal cancer journey.
The two primary functions of Hope Haven is the cancer survivor support group and the caregiver support group.
Each support group is led by a volunteer who works closely with American Cancer Society staff to:
- Deliver the type of support that Second Life residents need
- Reach out across the grid to let Second Life residents know about Hope Haven and offer support to cancer survivors and caregivers, everywhere
- Work together with RFL & MSABC volunteers so that event opportunities are made available to members of Hope Haven
- Offer event participants the opportunity to join Hope Haven support groups
For more information about the American Cancer Society and the inworld support groups for cancer patients, survivors and caregiver, please contact, Sandie Slate (Sandie Loxingly), Hope Haven Services Lead.
Visit Hope Haven on the American Cancer Society region here.